February 12, 2015
Carson City, NV – Attorney General Adam Paul Laxalt, a former Navy Judge Advocate General, announced the formation of the Attorney General’s Advisory Committee for the Office of Military Legal Assistance. This office will be the nation’s first Attorney General led public-private partnership to give our military communities access to pro-bono civil legal services.
Over the past month, Attorney General Laxalt assembled an outstanding group of representatives from the various military communities and partners within Nevada’s statewide legal community. Members of the committee include representatives from the various military components in the state, private law firms, Nevada’s only law school, Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada, state and county bar associations, a general counsel’s office from a large Nevada corporation, a military support organization and the Nevada Justice Association. This group will help shape the parameters of the program, and all participants are excited to be a part of this ambitious new effort.
“In a recent survey conducted of current and former military personnel in Nevada, 61% of responders indicated that one of their top unmet needs was affordable legal services,” said Laxalt. “Most attorneys I speak with agree that we owe this to our military community, and are happy to have a vehicle to support such a great cause. The Attorney General’s office is uniquely situated to spearhead this collective effort to bring these needs to the forefront of our legal community in the state.”
Perry Di Loreto, Chairman of the Nevada Military Support Alliance, extended his support by stating, “The Nevada Military Support Alliance is excited to be a part of this important advisory committee. We are encouraged by Attorney General Laxalt’s leadership in this area, and look forward to assisting him coordinate a statewide effort to provide needed legal services to our military heroes.” “As Nevada’s leading nonprofit law firm, Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada is pleased to be a part of the Attorney General’s advisory committee to help our military community find needed legal representation,” said the Honorable Barbara Buckley, Executive Director of the Legal Aid Center for Southern Nevada.
The following are the committee’s members:
• The Honorable Barbara Buckley, Esq. Executive Director of Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada
• Caleb Cage, Director of Military and Veterans Policy
• Rear Admiral (U.S. Navy Retired) James E. McPherson, Executive Director of the National Association of Attorneys General. In 2004, Admiral McPherson was appointed by the President as the U.S. Navy's 39th Judge Advocate General.
• Colonel (U.S. Army Retired) Katherine Miller, Director of the Nevada Department of Veteran Services
• Ira Raphaelson, Esq. Executive Vice President and General Counsel of the Las Vegas Sands Corp.
• Perry Di Loreto, Chairman of the Nevada Military Support Alliance
• Tiffinay Pagni, Esq. President of the Washoe County Bar Association
• Damon K. Dias, Esq. President of the Clark County Bar Association
• Richard Pocker, Esq. Member of the Board of Governors, State Bar of Nevada
• Anna Marie Johnson, Esq. Executive Director of Nevada Legal Services
• Lieutenant Colonel (U.S. Air Force & Nevada Air National Guard Retired) James Bradshaw, Esq. Partner of McDonald, Carano and Wilson Law Firm
• Daniel W. Hamilton, Esq. Dean of William S. Boyd School of Law
• Sheri Cane Vogel, Esq. Executive Director of the Southern Nevada Senior Law Program
• Cliff W. Marcek, Esq. Nevada Justice Association (South)
• David O’Mara, Esq. Nevada Justice Association (North)
The following are the committee’s advisors:
• Brigadier General William R. Burks, Adjutant General of the state of Nevada
• Captain Leif E. Steinbaugh, U.S. Navy, Commanding Officer, Naval Air Station Fallon
• Lieutenant Colonel Aimee Cannon, U.S. Air Force Reserve, Staff Judge Advocate for the 926th Wing of Nellis Air Force Base